[OM] Tamron SP 35-105/2.8

Subject: [OM] Tamron SP 35-105/2.8
From: "Glen Lowry" <lowry@xxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 1999 08:03:29 -0700
Hi all.
Any of you have experience with the Tamron SP 35-105?  I picked up a "like new"
(still in box w/ all accessories and no visible signs of use) version of this
lens at a local camera shop.

I still haven't seen any photos from it--just got it yesterday night--but when
I was out shooting this morning, I noticed two obvious mechanical "problems."

1. the zoom is a bit sticky, especially towards either end of its range; while
I'd rather have it as is than too loose, I'm wondering if this is difficult to
repair.

2. There is a noticeable focus shift; when I zoom from 35 to 105 or vice versa,
I have to refocus. Again I want to know if this is normal, fixable, or a
tell-tale sign of a dud.

My dilemma is this: do I return the lens and get my money back or do get the
shop to repair it (I think they have an obligation under the 30 day warranty).

 I'm looking for a good, fast general purpose zoom, and I would really like
this to be it.  Do any of you know whether these lenses (generally) are sharp?
I guess what I'm asking is this lens worth my time and money (the price seems
decent) or should I just walk away form it.

Thanks
glen