Re: [OM] ** FILTERS **

Subject: Re: [OM] ** FILTERS **
From: "jahudson" <jahudson@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 1999 09:15:05 -0700
----- Original Message -----
From: Chuck Norcutt <norcutt@xxxxxxx>
To: Olympus mail list <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, April 18, 1999 6:03 AM
Subject: [OM] UV filters [Was: ** FILTERS **

> Bob Broder wrote and asked a question about the merits of single vs
> multi-coated filters.

snip

> Brian Huber replied:

snip

> Now I have to add my piece:
>
> I'm in general agreement with Brian's reply except that I don't know why
> he thinks a non-multicoated filter might have something to do with
> damaging a lens (see point #2 above).  Perhaps he meant to say something
> else and it just didn't come across the way he meant it.

snip

I wonder if someone could comment on something I heard yesterday in one of
our mainline camera stores about UV filters. The store person mentioned that
B+W makes two types of polarizing filters; one with the distance between the
two rotating filter pieces the same as that of other manufacturers, and
another where the distance between the two rotating filter pieces is much
smaller. The store person opined that the latter type of polarizing filter
could be used with wide and very angle lenses without any negative
consequences.  My experience with UV filters is limited having only acquired
an SLR earlier this year. As a long time rangefinder camera user I never
used a UV filter so have no experience in that field.

John Hudson