RE: [OM] ** FILTERS **

Subject: RE: [OM] ** FILTERS **
From: "Brian P. Huber" <bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 1999 15:29:54 -0400
Chuck Norcutt stated,
<snip> I'm in general agreement with Brian's reply except that I don't know
why
he thinks a non-multicoated filter might have something to do with
damaging a lens (see point #2 above).  Perhaps he meant to say something
else and it just didn't come across the way he meant it.<snip>
My #2.  What I was starting to say, but didn't finish too well, was the
damage issue in NOT using a filter, any filter.  Many of us start to get
sick at our stomachs when we thing of the possible damage to a lens that
could have possibly been prevented by using a filter.  All that money down
the tubes...

<snip> Brian's third set of points (flatness, color, small defects,
mounting)are also considerations <snip>

On my #3,  this point I also should have made better, was how plane the
filter is mounted, not ground.  I have seen some "off-brand" filters that
were mounted exceptionally poorly.  Sometimes it only needed for the filter
mount to be screwed in tighter, other times cross threading of mount was
the culprit.  How big a factor this is, I honestly don't know, but I would
think that the "attention to detail" would be an indicator of other
quality.
To expand on this,  I recently saw a new, unsold filter in a store with a
BIG fingerprint smack in the middle of a circular polarizer. The
fingerprint was inside the filter sections and could not be cleaned off
without dismantling the entire filter,-(off-brand filter).
Brian