Re: [OM] ** FILTERS ** & coatings

Subject: Re: [OM] ** FILTERS ** & coatings
From: "Tom Trottier" <infoanim@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 10:58:33 -0400
> Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 21:37:03 -0400 (EDT)
> From: *- DORIS FANG -* <sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [OM] ** FILTERS ** & coatings
>
> On Mon, 19 Apr 1999, Tom Trottier wrote:
>
> > If the overall glare adds just 10f the incoming lite across
> > the field, most of the shadow detail will be obscured.
>
>   That depends. As any schoolgirl knows, one of the great advantages
> of a little flare is to pre-fog the film, thus INCREASING shadow details,
> not obliterating them. This is something clearly observable in many
> backlit images from the old SC days. What you lose is real black blacks.

Yeah, prefogging can bring up shadow detail, if EVENLY done. It also compresses
the toe of the curve, reducing contrast in the shadows. Usually, a photographer
using prefogging also bumps up his development, increasing the contrast back,
but blocking all the hilites.

> > But any reflections will add fog & reduce contrast all over the film.
>
>   Fog can be your friend...how do you think guys like Robert Frank
> managed shooting ISO 125 (SuperXX) films in available darkness ?

They also super sensitised it with fumes of mercury. Anyone for bringing that
back? Eventually, you lose your steady 1/4 second hand exposure to neurological
damage...

Ah, the good old days...

----
From: Tom Trottier, President, ACT Productions Inc.
infoanim@xxxxxx                   http://www.act.ca
+1 613 594-4829                 fax +1 613 594-8944
199 Holmwood Ave,  Ottawa, Ontario, Canada  K1S 2P3
"Make it as simple as possible, but no simpler" - Einstein