[OM] yet further stuff <yawn> on the IS-30...

Subject: [OM] yet further stuff <yawn> on the IS-30...
From: William Sommerwerck <williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 19:06:57 -0700
I just got back the first three rolls of print film I ran through the IS-30. I'm
impressed.

First, the prints were almost excruciatingly sharp. I'm  starting to believe
there was something wrong with my IS-10. Which would explain why photos from my
OM-4T were noticeably sharper. So you won't be seeing a test report from me on
the Sigma 28-70 vs the IS-30. (At least not in the near future.) If there are
any differences in these lenses (and there no doubt are), they aren't
particularly noticeable in a 4x6 print.

I was also impressed with the flash shots. When the IS-20 (and some other P&S
models) were introduced, Olympus claimed better flash exposure and balance,
especially in scenes with rear lighting or lighting from windows. This proved to
be the case. I've never seen on-camera flash shots that look so little _like_
on-camera flash shots.

Fill-in was also drastically improved. The camera no longer gives "full"
fill-in, and the effect is much more natural. Indeed, you often have to look
closely to see that fill-in was used at all.

There were several shots in which I'm certain fill-in was activated, but the
flash didn't fire. I'm going to have to look a bit further to figure out when
and why this occurs.

Autofocus in dim light is greatly improved. The camera now has no trouble
focusing in light the previously needed an assist from the flash. And when the
flash assist occurs, it's much shorter.

I commented earlier on the camera's faster, quieter operation. Although quiet
operation is always desirable, designers rarely change a camera _just_ to reduce
noise. In the IS-30's case, I suspect Olympus has put more-efficient motors in
the IS-30, which just happen to be quieter. Perhaps the IS-30 won't be quite so
battery-hungry as the IS-10.

My only remaining complaint is that I wish the shutter release were matte black
or dark green, instead of chrome. But that's nit-picking.