Re: 200/4 (was: Re: [OM] macro/portrait lens recs.)

Subject: Re: 200/4 (was: Re: [OM] macro/portrait lens recs.)
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 23:09:05 -0500
>On Tue, 20 Apr 1999, Joel Wilcox wrote:
><snip>
>>The 200/f4 is a very tricky lens, in my opinion. In Zuikoid terms, it's
>>longish and heavy-ish on an Oly bod.  I get better performance with it
>>using a long lens support, which tells me that some sort of shutter
>>"resonance" is an issue in degrading image sharpness.  If your tripod has
>>any inherent defects, you will find them with the help of this lens.  I've
>>made my peace with this lens, I use it quite a bit, and really do enjoy it,
>>but all things being equal, I'd support your decision to go for the the
>>200/5, and the last reason would be to get the 49mm filter size.  However,
>>I've never used the 200/5, so let your own test results be your guide.

At 11:34 AM 4/20/99 -0700, Saddiq responded:

>       Can you explain this a bit more or refer me to someplace that
>does? Most of my shots with the 50/1.8 and 28/3.5 so far have been
>handheld. I've done a few tele shots with the 75-150/4 and the 2x TC on a
>video tripod (for the lack of anything better) I had at home. I do have a
>plan on getting a tripod soon, but as this video pod is here, I'm putting
>of the real one till later and concentrating on lenses at the moment. I
>haven't gotten back the pictures, but the video tripod, a lightweight
>Samsonite, was not stable at all with an OM1n, 2x TC and 75-150/4. Also,
>i've dropped the 200/5 from consideration after reading advice against it
>in favor of the 200/4.

Saddiq,

I'm not quite sure which part you'd like me to explain, but from your
response I think it might be the part about how the 200/f4 lens really
requires a good tripod.  First problem is that the tripod mount on OM
cameras is a little flimsy.  That's just a drawback of its small size.
It's not a problem with the lighter lenses, but the heavier ones really
test the metal.  Secondly, the 200/f4 is fairly long and heavy as Zuikos
go.  Center of gravity is way out front.  That's why I often (but by no
means always) use a Bogen long lens support.  This support primarily allows
one to put the tripod directly under the center of gravity of the
lens/camera combo.

If you are primarily a handholding photographer, and shoot fast film, you
can easily shoot either the 200/f4 or 200/f5 handheld.  There have been
excellent discussions of tripods on the list and you should probably find
them pretty easily in the archives.  I'd try to get a good tripod before or
simultaneous with the purchase of a 200mm lens, especially the 200/f4.

Joel