Re: [OM] fill flash outdoors (OM1n/T32)

Subject: Re: [OM] fill flash outdoors (OM1n/T32)
From: "Paul Farrar" <farrar@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 09:52:31 -0500 (CDT)

> Hallo, it is I once again. Haven't done many outdoor fill flash shots (not
> through with roll). Question is, when flash is turned on, the meter
> doesn't work, which I don't mind; this means I have to set aperture using
> the scale on the back of the flash. However, this brings up the problem
> that too small an aperture, which the scale indicates, will suffice for
> the subject (flash to subject distance) but the background will
> be--theoretically--completely underexposed. To get around this, can I
> meter (w/o flash on) off the subject and then turn on flash? I'm afraid
> I'll overexpose and blow the subject out with light. Any suggestions? I'll
> be trying out the above methods tomorrow late afternoon.
> Siddiq

Siddiq:

Try this for bright sunlight. Set the shutter speed to 1/60. Adjust the
aperture for proper exposure. If you are using film of ISO over 64, you
may have to add neutral density filters (or a polarizer) to get an
aperture you have on your lens. ISO 25 or 50 film would be good, or 100
with a 2-stop neutral density filter. Then set the flash for an ISO 100
guide number 10 times the distance. For the T32 that would be high (farthest
left) for about 3.2m or 10ft, and low for about 1.6m or 5ft. That's it.
You may want to be a little closer since the guide number is for indoors,
where you get ceiling and wall bounce that you won't outside.

Alternatively set the T32 on the ISO 100 f/8 auto position, regardless of
distance.

Run test shots for typical situations. Use slide film for the tests.
(You can switch back to print film for normal use, but slides are
better for tests.) Take thorough notes and have some identifying item in
each shot.

For instance, shoot the following series: person in bright sun that casts
shadows on face (under chin, eye sockets), ISO 25 film or 100 with a 2-stop
filter (try a polarizer), f/11, 1/60, T32 on high, distances of 3, 5, 7,
10, 14, and 20 feet. Do same on low with distance halved. Find the shots
that please you, and use that combo in the future.

You want to get the proper ratio of ambient to flash light. For outdoor
fill you want about 1 part flash to 2-8 parts ambient. That's 1-3stops.
The following affect the ratio:
1. Flash power.
2. Flash distance.
3. Shutter speed.
1 and 2 control the flash amount and 3 controls the ambient light amount.
The following do not affect the ratio:
1. Film ISO.
2. f number
3. Filters.
4. Camera distance if flash is not on camera.
These affect flash and ambient light equally, and thus do not affect
the ratio.

Paul Farrar