[OM] OT: Sunpak Flash Questions

Subject: [OM] OT: Sunpak Flash Questions
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 1999 20:29:28 -0500
Hi all:

Could anyone contact me offlist who might answer the following questions
about Sunpak flashes, especially the 433 (maybe 444) series. I have no
documentation on my 433D.

I'm trying to get my 433D set up for *manual* macro flash.  In manual mode
I want to be able to use the 1/8 and 1/16 output settings for use with my
OM-1's and OM-2S's and I want to establish guide numbers for these
settings. (Yes, I know that I can use TTL and dedication of this flash with
the OM-2S, but I want to establish a manual setup with this flash for both
types of cameras.)

My questions:

1) Does the full power GN of 120 apply to the flash with or without its
zoom attachment?

2) My zoom attachment has positions for 35, 50, 70, and 135mm.  I'm
wondering if in effect there are different GN's for each of these zoom
settings.

3) In normal use, the zoom head with its diffuser front panel (not an
accessorary but the "lens" of the zoom head itself) produces quite good,
pleasing results, so I'd like to use it. For use with my Vivitar 100/2.8
macro, I would probably use the zoom head set at the 70mm setting.  Seem
reasonable?  Other suggestions?

4) My zoom head has an integrated panel with a reflective coating that can
apparently be used in various bounce-type situations, perhaps to improve
the "catch-lights" in eyes, etc.  Fully extended, this panel can be
positioned 90 degrees with respect to the front lens of the zoom head.
Does this panel have any role when the flash is being used "straight on,"
or is it only used in bounce situations?

Thanks for any help!

Joel Wilcox
mailto:jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx