[OM] MACRO WORK

Subject: [OM] MACRO WORK
From: "Kinkead, Frank W" <Frank.Kinkead@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 20:35:17 -0500
I've been following some threads on macro work lately on the list
(vignetting, flash, etc.).  Can someone give me a basic primer on "how to"
get into macro work.  I interested in a basic capability to add to my camera
toolbox; nothing exotic.  I was trying to do some work with a small X-ray in
a doctor's office (on a light frame) and couldn't get close enough for what
I wanted with my OM-1on a tripod.  I would also like to experiment with some
nature shots outdoors (flowers, small wildlife).

To integrate to some sort of macro capability I have:
- bodies OM-4/OM-1
- lenses 28mm f2.8, 50mm 1.4 & 1.8, 135mm f2.8 & 75-150mm f4.0 (Zuikos
except for the wide angle)
- flash units T-32, T-20, cords & BG2

I'm aware of basic extension rings, bellows and specialty macro lenses but I
don't understand the pros & cons of these to go further.  Do my OM bodies
retain meter coupling with extension rings ? (seems cheapest).  Is a one
time investment in bellows or a macro lens better ?  What focal length &
aperature of a macro best for general purpose ?  Macro capability is
integrated into normal prime lenses and some medium zoom telephotos; which
is better ?

Thanks,

Chip