Re: [OM] Lens fungus

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens fungus
From: "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 11:27:07 +0000
The key thing to think about with fungus is moisture.

As far as I am aware you should be able to arrest fungal growth by depriving it
of
moisture.  The first thing I would do to a lens on detecting such growth would
be to
put it in the sun such that the light enters the lens.  I understand most if
not all
UV will be blocked by the lens elements but if any does penetrate it will do
some
good but the main thing is to warm the lens and hopefully reduce the humidity
inside
the lens.  On second thought it would perhaps be more effective to place the
lens
side on to the sunlight given that they are mostly black.

The best thing of course is prevention rather than cure. To that end, I believe
it
is best to store lenses in conditions of low humidity.  The idea of storing
lenses
in an airtight container with silica gell is a good one, it is what I do.

Giles

 Arnab Kumar Banerjee