Re: [OM] Few macro questions

Subject: Re: [OM] Few macro questions
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 11:30:36 -0500
At 09:56 AM 4/26/99 +0200, Martin you wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I am new to the list and also to the Olympus. I bought my first OM4Ti with
>35-105mm zoom 14 days ago.

Hi Martin, and welcome.  Wow, what a great startup system!

>I think then about 50/3.5 Macro, but from Garry's results and comments it
>doesn't seem to perform so well.

It may not perform as well as the 50/2 or 90/2, but it's a great lens and
the price is right.  All those Zuiks can't be wrong. :)

>So here is my question(s):
>
>1) how would perform my zoom 35-105 with extension rings (let's say set to
>   focal length about 50mm)
>
>2) would be better to buy extension tubes and normal 50mm/1.8 lens for now
>and wait untill some nice 90/2 or 50/2 Macro lens appears in the shops? Or
>should I buy the 50/3.5 Macro?

The best thing about a true macro is its convenience.  Other than that, it
is somewhat essential only if you are trying to photograph a flat field, as
in copy work.  You should do great with extension tubes in the field.

If it were I, I would choose the 90/f2 over the 50/2.  The 90 would give
you an excellent, fast portrait and all-around lens in addition to a macro
with some working distance. If you adapt a conventional flash to your macro
work down the road, this seems a little easier with the working distance of
the 90.  However, I can guarantee you that you are going to see a good used
50/3.5 before a 90 comes along, and if you can resist buying it you're a
better man than I am.

Joel