RE: [OM] 85/f2.0 vs 100/f2.8

Subject: RE: [OM] 85/f2.0 vs 100/f2.8
From: Wayne Harridge <Wayne.Harridge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 13:26:11 +1000
Peter wrote:

>     would be less lens swapping on my camera bodies. I recently picked
> up a
>     pristine 35/f2.0 for $AUS180 ($US120)

I have seen the 35mm f2.8 selling in camera shops for more than that !

> The dealer who I know well
> also
>     has a nice 100/f2.8 for a little less then the 35/f2.0.

Which dealer is this - I might take a look !

>     Now here is my question - will the 100/f2.8 do kids portraits as
> good as my 85/f2?

Don't know about the 85mm f2, but at < $AU180 I reckon the 100mm f2.8 is a
bargain.  I have the 100, and find it to be an excellent portrait lens.

>     I know there was a discussion about 100 vs 85 around Sept
> last year
> on this
>     this list, but I have to decide in the next few days whether to
> purchase (its currently
>     being held for me). Any comments to help me decide are
> most welcome.
>
>     PS  My wife has approved the expenditure on the grounds that she
> gets to
>             purchase something "extravagant".

I'm impressed, you actually sought approval first !  Not normally a trait of
a Zuikoholic.

Wayne Harridge
Ivanhoe, Victoria, Australia
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Louvre/6152/