[OM] Comments on SIGMA 70-150 macro zoom

Subject: [OM] Comments on SIGMA 70-150 macro zoom
From: Dan Lau <dlau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 08:37:26 -0700 (PDT)
I just got hold of a SIGMA 70-150 zoom lens in OM mount.  It
is big and heavy, which is typical of lenses of its generation,
I guess.  The glass is very clean, but the mount area shows
some wear.  On the front, it said:

    SIGMA    multi-coated    1:3.5    f=70~150mm

It is a one-touch zoom design, closest focus is 2m.  Aperture
range from 3.5 to 22.  It also has a NORMAL/MACRO feature,
and when in MACRO mode, it gives 1:5.5  -  1:10  reproduction
ratio.

I know the normal answer is "take some pictures, if you like
it, then keep it".  But in this case, that is not possible,
as the lens has sticky aperture blades.  I can press down on
the DOF button and it takes about 10 seconds for the blades
to close down slowly.  I've tried it on the camera and the
blades are definitely staying open and not closing down.  So
I am wondering if the lens is worth fixing or should I just
shelve it.

Thanks for any comments.
        -Dan