Re: [OM] Zuiko vs. Leica lenses - follow up

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko vs. Leica lenses - follow up
From: "jahudson" <jahudson@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 08:24:19 -0700
-----Original Message-----
From: John Hudson <jahudson@xxxxxxxxx>
To: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Monday, April 26, 1999 9:13 AM
Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko vs. Leica lenses?

>Skip Williams wrote:
>
>> Given the stellar performance of most Zuiko's (as we all know), does
anyone
>> have any practical experience comparing either Leica M or R lenses vs
>> similar Zuikos; or Zeiss lenses?
>>
>> This seems like an apt comparison.  I believe that the Zuiko, Leica, and
>> Zeiss account for most of the top-drawer quality in the manual focus lens
>> world today
>>
>> Skip
>
>I am in process of comparing two sets of slides [Ektachrome 100VS taken
with a
>Leica M3 and 35 / 50 / 90 / 135 and a Fujichrome RDP2 taken with an OM4T
and 28
>/ 50 [1.4 and 1.8] / 100 / 135] using a light table and a Pradovit
projector
>and will report later. Right now there is no evident winner.
>
>jh

On a light table, through a hand held slide viewer, and projected on a
screen at 12 feet with a Leitz 2.5 / 90mm Colorplan lens there is no
apparent and discernable difference in clarity, resolution, or contrast
allowing of course for the two different slide films used.  The only
perceived difference, to me at least, is that the Leica slides hold a
slightly increased sense of dimensionality over those taken with my OM4T.
The sense of being there, and the sense of feeling the presence and width
and depth of the picture was felt a little more strongly with the Leica
slides than with the OM4T slides. This is all very subjective and impossible
to measure objectively. I tend to prefer slightly over saturated colours
than undersaturated colours so perhaps the choice of which film to shoot in
which camera influenced my perception. I am now in process of shooting a
reel of Etkachrome 100VS in my OM4T and will compare these slides with the
others.

jh