Re: [OM] RE: macro questions (and a few more for the experts!)

Subject: Re: [OM] RE: macro questions (and a few more for the experts!)
From: Jan Steinman <jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 10:22:57 -0700
Allow me to dissent just a bit with all the glowing praise for the Zuiko
90/2: THAT SUCKER IS HEAVY! Every time I carry a body around with that lens
attached, I feel like they (the body and the lens) are a bit like Laurel
and Hardy.

If you are interested in backpacking or long hikes, consider the 50/3.5. It
feels like it belongs on an OM body, rather than feeling like some strange
attached growth. In particular, the girth of the 90/2 makes it difficult to
operate the mount release and the depth-of-field preview. Also, the 50/3.5
takes cheaper/lighter/smaller 49mm filters, and fits into the slide
duplicator, and has more depth-of-field. I'm having tiny tinges of regret
at selling my trusty 50/3.5 already.

It's just a guess, but my impression is the 135/4.5 plus the telescoping
extension tube still weighs less than the 90/2! Of course, it is also over
two stops slower, but it is also more versatile -- you can stick about
anything on the tele tube for nature (non-flat-field) work.

Also, the need for true, flat-field macro lenses is overrated for nature
work. When shooting flowers and such, nothing is really flat anyway, and
you end up basing your composition on getting most of the shot on a plane,
rather than on principles of good composition! You are just as likely to be
able to line up your plane on the slightly curved field you'll get with a
non-macro and a tube.

Finally, remember that almost all the fast Zuikos have a close-focus
correction mechanism. Rack one of those all the way out, and add a tube,
and you'll be suprised at the result! I'm currently having LOTS of fun with
wide angle lenses and short extension tubes -- the 21/2 and 7mm of
extension make you feel you're actually "inside" the macro world, and
there's much greater depth-of-field, as well.

Don't get me wrong -- the 90/2 is a wonderful lens, but I'm giving all you
who are "stuck" with the 50/3.5 (or something else) some reasons to say
"sour grapes!"

Any photo with a lens you've got is better than imagining the photos you'd
take if you only had that particular something you don't have!

: Jan Steinman <mailto:jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068-1331 USA
: +1.503.635.3229