Re: [OM] Springtime in Texas/Tamron 400/4

Subject: Re: [OM] Springtime in Texas/Tamron 400/4
From: Gary Edwards <edwardsg@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 01 May 1999 07:54:06 -0500
Someone wrote asking how I liked my Tamron 400/4 but I inadvertantly
deleted the message.  I am very pleased with the lens but my impressions
are subjective. The images of a feruginus owl were marvelous when the
light got right. I have made some brick wall test shots but haven't had
time to examine them critically. Incidentally, I stowed the lens in it's
padded cordura case on the luggage shelf for the bus ride to El Canella
Ranch.  Seems the air conditioning ducts emptied into the shelf area.  The
lens was at about 40 degrees F (4 C) when I pulled it out in the warm,
humid South Texas air and immediately tried to shoot the owl.
Fortuneatly, he  was obliging enough to wait the 30 minutes it took for
that huge objective element to warm up enough to see through!

In the meantime, Gary Reese has announced that he has tested the Tamron
400/4.  His methodical testing is worth waiting for and much more
definitive than mine.  Nice to have a trained scientist with an artist's
eye making these tests for us, isn't it?

The impending publication of Gary's test results poses a question to a
lens owner.  Sell now or wait for the surge in price if the results are
good?  Well, I'm keeping mine.  How about you, Olaf?  ;-))

Gary Edwards