Re: [OM] honest camera dealers

Subject: Re: [OM] honest camera dealers
From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 1 May 1999 10:02:18 EDT
In a message dated 5/1/99 7:51:51 AM EST, williams@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< My only caveat about any and all dealers -- including KEH -- is that you
cannot
 trust them to accurately grade used equipment. It is invariably in worse
 condition than described.

Just to add my 2c worth- On a couple of purchases that I made from Charlotte
Camera (www.charlottecamera.com) of camera bodies- they were either rated a 9
or a 9-, and when they arrived I couldn't find one minute defect in cosmetics
or operation. IOW- they were a "10" if anything I've ever seen were, and in a
subsequent phone call to them I said as much to Carol, who laughed and said
that the other person there, Charlie, who grades the equipment, had taken
some heat recently from a customer who didn't quite agree with his ratings.
So, we can assume that grading is certainly subjective and inexact, and the
customer is sometimes not ripped off intentionally, mistakes are made either
way (up or down) in grading.
         * A far cry from E-bay where the buyer is usually screwed on the
seller's rating system! (My experience).

Regards,
George S.