Re: [OM] T32 Auto setting inaccurate

Subject: Re: [OM] T32 Auto setting inaccurate
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 01 May 1999 10:48:43 -0500
At 02:10 AM 5/1/99 +0100, Trevor you wrote:

>Can I conclude from this,  for accurate flash work with scenes that do not
>average out to grey card values, one is better off switching to manual mode
>and trusting the flashmeter rather than the T-32?
>Regds,
>Trevor.

Hi Trevor,

I'm actually in the midst of field testing a number of flashes for macro
work. I'm finding that manual is much more trustworthy in a situation in
which direct rather than direct + reflected light is expected (i.e.,
outdoors as opposed to indoors). The flash shoots light in more than one
direction. TTL flash in close range outdoors works only with major
compensation adjustments for me (in the range of -1 1/2 to -2 stops on the
exp. comp. dial).  Outdoors, published GN's for manual need to be halved
(for me at least).

This is an indirect answer to your question, since I don't know what to
tell you about using your flashmeter or not, but working with known, tested
GN's in "non-standard" environments really makes the most sense to me.

Joel