[OM] used-equipment ratings; Pedro's problems; autoflash accuracy

Subject: [OM] used-equipment ratings; Pedro's problems; autoflash accuracy
From: William Sommerwerck <williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 02 May 1999 05:30:39 -0700
Just to clarify my point about ratings of used equipment "never" being
correct... I'm not implying that any or all companies overrate equipment
deliberately. It's rather that, the longer you look, the more cosmetic problems
you see. You also have to know how a piece of equipment is supposed to work. If
you don't know that it has some obscure feature, you might not notice that the
feature isn't working right.

Unfortunately, the people doing the ranking don't have enough time to do the job
right. George Shihanian is lucky to have a found a dealer that has been "bitten"
hard enough to be more conscientious.

Even attentive people like myself make mistakes. I just sold a Burwen TNE 7000,
and as I was doing a final clean-up, I noticed a small "ding" and some light
scuffing on the front panel I hadn't noticed before, even though I'd
photographed the darn thing! I told the buyer about it before shipping, so he
could back out. He didn't, but it was nevertheless embarrassing.

For those who don't speak Spanish, Pedro Diego's OM-4Ti sometimes doesn't fully
advance the film completely, producing overlapped images. This sounds like
something that needs a qualified repairman. Does anyone have suggestions?

David Vila suggested it was due to not advancing the lever far enough. But I
don't understand how you could release the shutter -- there's a pretty strong
interlock. And a single brisk advance does _not_ strike me as a good suggestion.
I'd go slowly.

I am very puzzled about Trevor Noble's problems with autoflash.

If the flash is set for automatic operation (either TTL or on-flash sensor), the
"sufficient flash" light will come on if enough light is reflected to quench the
flash, regardless of the state of charge of the flash's capacitors. The state of
the batteries has nothing to do with this, either. As the batteries weaken, the
flash will simply take longer to recycle.

My experience with flash meters (both Sekonic and Polaris -- the latter is
available for sale) is that they give results very close to what I get with TTL
or on-flash sensors.