Re: [OM] 200mm F4 / F5 vs. 65/200mm F4

Subject: Re: [OM] 200mm F4 / F5 vs. 65/200mm F4
From: Richard Schaetzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 02 May 1999 21:06:21 +0200
Tomoko Yamamoto schrieb:

> I also want to point out that the teleconverter plus the Zuiko combination
> would
> have a balance problem on a tripod.
>I am afraid that
> some poor results Gary got might be due to the balance problem and not to the
> lens capabilities.

I tend to agree with this diagnosis. I tested my 200mm/4.0 Zuiko with an OM-4
and OM-1 against an 180mm/2.8 Zuiko on the tripod.
I used the "laser pointer method", taped an laser pointer on the lensbarrel and
watched the projected red light moving on the wall during the camera release. I
used an shutterspeed of 1 sec. to distinguish mirror flip up and down.

Someone blamed the poor tripod performance of the 200mm/4.0 as an result of the
"week OM lens mount". I can not verify this, in the contrary, the 50
0.000000e+00avier
180mm lens had under all conditions much less vibration problems than the 200mm.

With an OM-1, the 200mm showed horrible vibrations, using the mirror prefire
helped not much.

Much better was the OM-4, less vibration then the OM-1, the difference to an
OM-1
with mirror fliped up was hardly noticeable.
Used with selftimer, the OM-4 was way ahead of the OM-1. Prefireing of mirror
and aperture seems the way to go.

To verifiy this I prefired the aperture of an OM-1 with flipped up mirror
(taped
the DOF button down).
This had an very noticeable effect of reduced vibrations (practicaly as good as
an OM-4 with selftimer). Prefireing of the aperture alone had an much bigger
effect
on reducing the vibration than a simple mirror prefire.

With other lenses (180mm and 100mm) I was not able to find such big differences
between the OM-1 and OM-4.

It seems that the problem lies in a combination of the way the aperture is
actuated
and the long lens barrel, camera tripod thread combination, which results in a
long
lever, moving like a spring.

A remedy might be the use of an beanbag. I wasn´t aware of the 200mm lens
vibration
problem for a long time, because I used to use it the most time with makeshift
"beanbags" (I don´t like to schlepp around a tripod).

Regards

Richard

p.s did someone test the OM-2SP vibrations wise? I guess the slower aperture/
mirror
movement might be a benefit in this regards.