Re: [OM] Mono pods and ball heads

Subject: Re: [OM] Mono pods and ball heads
From: "John Petrush" <petrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 May 1999 21:00:41 -0400
I shoot sports 900f the time.  Of that, 3/4 is motorsport.  For fast
moving subjects, a monopod is, for me, is somewhere in between marginal
value and in the way.  I find I get better results hand holding to follow
the action and using high shutter speeds (>= 1/500).  The main exception to
this is when I get a straight on vantage point, such as the start of a race.
Then a monopod is most helpful.

I was recently asked to shoot a Nike Tour gold tournament.  In that setting,
the monopod was worth its weight in gold.  With the slow action, lots of
time to frame, focus, etc. the monopod was most helpful.  BTW, I managed to
take the front page shot, plus three more inside the sports section, of the
local paper using an OM-4T, 300mm f/2.8 Tokina w/Zuiko 1.4x t/c, MD-2, all
atop a Bogen monopod.  I was most pleased :)

When you have the luxury of being relatively stationary, a monopod is very
helpful.

John P
there is no "never" - just long periods of "not yet".
there is no "always" - just long periods of "so far".