Re: [OM] Lens Quality Merely a Constraint

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens Quality Merely a Constraint
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 03 May 1999 00:00:20 +0000
At 16:23 4/27/99 , The Zuik wrote:

>(PS: Before I start my metamorphosis, however, I really WOULD like to
>know how Zeiss and Leica compare to Zuiko. But I feel so ashamed for
>wanting to know. Please hold me, I'm feeling vulnerable.)

Already read a reply about the Leitz lenses, so I'll put in my $.02 about
the Carl Zeiss.  Observations are generalizations about older Tessar,
Sonnar and Planar lenses in use on Rollei and Zeiss Ikon bodies.  The
original designs for these lenses date well before lens coatings and have
been reformulated numerous times.  All of mine are post-war single or
multi-coated versions in  "standard" focal lengths.  In general, these Carl
Zeiss lenses have very high resolution and very high contrast.  Photographs
taken with them get comments about this compared to a lot of modern lenses.

Because the original designs are very old and date to the days prior to
coatings, these lenses are more elegant in using fewer elements in fewer
groups (to maintain contrast ??).  The Tessar has more falloff and is
constrained to faster lens formulations.  The fastest older ones are f/2.8
and the newer ones are f/3.5 as a result.  The Sonnar has less falloff and
supposedly a flatter field but is still constrained.  Oldest ones are as
fast as f/1.5 and f/2.0; newer ones are f/2.8.  The newer Planar's are
simply superb.  By subjective comparison, my various Zuiko's have equal
resolution in general but seem to have slightly less contrast, especially
the single coated.  I "know" my lenses well enough now I can usually tell
which lens (and body) was used for a particular photograph.  All this said,
the film used makes as much (if not more) difference in the results.

--------------------

Now, for your singing enjoyment, lyrics for the Zuiko 50mm f/1.2:
(to the tune of Sesame Street's "Rubber Ducky")

Zuiko 50, you're the one,
You make photography so much fun,
Zuiko 50, I'm so glad you're an f/1.2.

(woo woo, bee doo!)

Zuiko 50, f/1.2,
I can use you in low light too!
Zuiko 50, you're my very best friend, it's true!

(doo doo doo doooo, doo doo)

CHORUS:
Every time when there's
So little light it's hard to see
I use a little fella who's
Sharp, light and MC.

(doo-ba-doo-doo-bee!)

Zuiko 50, you're so fine
And I'm lucky that you're mine
Zuiko 50, I'm so glad you're an f/1.2

(repeat chorus)

Zuiko 50, you're so fine
And I'm lucky that you're mine
Zuiko 50, I'm so glad you're an -
To an f/1.4 you're half a stop more than -
Zuiko 50, I'm so glad you're an f/1.2!

(doo-doo, be-doo)

--------------------

But wait, there's more!
A limeric for the 35-105 Zuiko MC zoom:

A used 35-105 Zuiko MC,
In grade 9 was found recently by me.
It's used mostly indoor;
Fine portraits I shoot more;
And its photos are beautiful to see.

--------------------

Finally, for the gentleman who cuts a deal with his wife that allows her an
extravagance after he plinks down some cash for a fine Zuiko.  I use a
slightly modified version of the same deal.  I encourage the other half buy
some extravagance she has been drooling over first, then I tell her what my
next toy will be a few days later.  How can she say "no" without feeling
guilty?  It has been going on for a quite a number of years now (started
before we married).  If I'm not subtle enough in my encouragement she gets
*very* suspicious!  Even her parents have noticed how this works between
us.  Zuikoholics will stop at nothing to get their next fix!

-- John