RE: [OM] Lenses and light don't mix?

Subject: RE: [OM] Lenses and light don't mix?
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 May 1999 12:54:13 -0400 (EDT)
> Quartz lenses will pass both long and shortwave UV.
>
> I don't have the wavelength definition of 'long' or 'short' readily at hand.
> Most fluorescent dyes respond to longwave UV (the ubiquitous 'black light').
> Many fluorescent minerals respond only to short wave UV, and to see them
> fluoresce you must use a UV lamp with a special quartz based filter that
> blocks visible wavelengths but passes short and longwave UV.

Oddly enough I just had a conversation about UV lenses with one of the
local used dealer this weekend.  He mentioned that their primary use is
for forensic sciences.  Apparently they are used by police investigators
to search crime scenes for evidence (eg. blood).

I also got a chance to look at what for me has been the largest telephoto
lens I have seen yet.  Canon had a 1200mm f5.6 lens set up in one of the
local shops.  All I can say is incredible.  Impracticle but incredible.
The front lens element must have been at least 30cm in diameter!  No
price was mentioned and noone I asked knew what it would cost.
                                -mark