RE: [OM] OT: Internet Image copyrights

Subject: RE: [OM] OT: Internet Image copyrights
From: Jan Steinman <jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 May 1999 14:16:28 -0700
>From: Dan Lau <dlau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>On Sun, 2 May 1999 15:39, "Chip Stratton" <cstrat@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>...There are methods
>>of "watermarking" digital images, whereby text information (say your name
>>etc.) of your choosing is embedded into the image...
>
>Actually, watermarking of images only help AFTER you realized that
>someone has used a copy of your image.  It helps to proof ownership
>or copyright, but it does not help to "track" if someone has made a
>copy of your image...

By itself, this is true of a watermark, but Digimarc (the company that owns
the license on the most popular watermarking scheme) has a relatively
inexpensive service that roams the web, looking for your watermark, and
reporting back to you if it is found.

>Second problem, watermarking of digital images only help with
>identifying a digital copy of the original digital image.  If the
>image is printed out then re-scanned, or only the printed image is
>used, then all evidence of the watermark is gone...

Also not true. Digimarc's technology survives printing and re-scanning, as
well as many other manipulations. I believe they claim that as little as a
1rop is enough to be detected. Of course, it is possible to obliterate
the watermark with extensive modification, but the system is specifically
designed to survive the most common manipulations, including down-sampling,
blurring and sharpening, and JPEG compression.

>... the chance of actually
>running into your own "stolen" image is very very small.

Unless you use a service, such as Digimarc. This is not unlike the "real
world" of print publication, where there are professional services that
check up on your clients' works to make sure they are in compliance, except
it is both easier to steal stuff, and easier to fetch and detect it.

I have no connection with Digimarc, except I use their embedder on anything
I put on the Internet. Registering and receiving a Digimarc ID, as well as
the basic embedding plug-in for Photoshop, is free -- they make their money
on products and services for pros, such as batch embedding and the
forementioned web search service.

I have not seen fit to use their web-searcing service yet -- all I know is
what they claim.

<http://www.digimarc.com>

: Jan Steinman <mailto:jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068-1331 USA
: +1.503.635.3229