Re: RE: [OM] Mono pods and ball heads

Subject: Re: RE: [OM] Mono pods and ball heads
From: "Keith (R.K.) Berry" <keith_r.k.berry@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 00:00:21 +0100
I just bought a copy of "35mm Handbook" by Michael Freeman (1980) and
looking at the page on camera supports I was surprised to see that the
device that I have always known as a ball and socket head (simply a large
metal ball with an integral threaded post and clamped into a circular collar
with a slot to allow flipping over to the vertical camera position) is
illustrated and captioned as a "Monoball". The illustration captioned as
"Ball-and-socket head" is a fussier, and flimsier looking design that I
don't think I've ever seen - the ball is smaller and clamped in a small
vice/vise that is off-centre from the tripod screw. The grip on the ball
appears to be controlled by one screw and the resistance to panning adjusted
by another.

Some doubt was expressed earlier in this thread about the firmness under
downwards pressure of a ball and socket head on a monopod and I was a bit
surprised. If the second of these designs was in mind then I'm much less
surprised.

Have other list members met this confusion?

Regards,
Keith
keith_r.k.berry@xxxxxxxxxx