RE: [OM] Monopod & ball head

Subject: RE: [OM] Monopod & ball head
From: "Tim Breen" <timbreen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 08:38:09 -0500
Kenneth:

"Stressing" Monopods:

It was once demonstrated to me that to stabilize the monopod (which I use
fairly frequently) think of it as the 3rd leg of the tripod and you are
(presumably) providing the other two. Therefor, the monopod should best be
placed *at an angle* away from yourself while you lean slightly into it. I
use this technique when I can and find that it is much more stable.

"The ball-end"

I use the Bogen monopod and the 3265 pistol grip w/quick release plates.
With this I can flop the unit on its side and shoot verticals. Not *nearly*
as stable as horizontals, but do-able and quick. Because the 3265 has 360
degree angulation, it has the added advantage of when shooting horizontals
of allowing the off-angle stabilization technique (as above) to be done very
quickly and easily.

Next, if I don't have to move around too much but need the small form factor
of a mono vs. tripod, I add two (one for each shoulder) Bogen screw-on
shoulder attachments under the 3265. Now I've got a 3-point (my hands/head
and shoulders) stabilization both on the ground and on myself. Very slow
shutter speeds are a breeze. It's a little awkward at first, you have to
adjust each shoulder piece to fit your body, but after that it's a
no-brainer. If you have to quickly move around a lot, i.e., moving sports
shots, I don't recommend it. I've done 1 second exposures at dusk and they
are _very_ acceptable.

Lastly, I like using a monopod because I can slap on a 24mm, focus to
infinity and stop it down for DOF, put the Oly on self timer, and hoist the
_very light_ combo 5' over my head for some interesting aerial views.
Wonderful in crowd situations like marathons, rodeos etc. I don't block
anyone's view and get shots few others do. (No way am I going to stick an
F5, with all that mass, up in the air... waaay too heavy).

Best,

Tim