Re: Infinity and F-stop RE: [OM] Monopod & ball head

Subject: Re: Infinity and F-stop RE: [OM] Monopod & ball head
From: "Barry B. Bean" <bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 May 1999 15:08:48 -0500 (CDT)
On Tue, 04 May 1999 11:09:15 -0700, George M. Anderson wrote:

>Look at the focus ring and the lens flange. The flange has F/#s on it,
>focus ring distances.  If you focus on infinity, there will be some
>distance in the foregroud after which objects out to infinity will be in
>focus.  Eg:  Zuiko 50/1.8: when focussed to infinity with lens aperture
>set at F/8, acceptable focus is from 10m to infinity. But if aperture is
>set to F/16, the close limit moves to 5m. But, look what happens if you
>set the focus to 10m and aper to F/8.  Now the flange marks indicate
>acceptable focus from 5m to infinity, same as F/16 above!  Very useful
>to use this method for max depthe of field. Method is called
>'hyperfocal.'

Just how accurate are lens markings? I notice that on my 200/5 that
the hyperfocal distance  at f16 looks to be 150yds judging by the
lens markings. But according to the hyperfocal calculator at
http://www.frii.com/~mbaltuch/HyperFocal.html, the hyperfocal
distance for f16 should be 83.33 yards. Which should I trust?

BB
-
B.B. Bean - Have horn, will travel
bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx