RE: [OM] X/FP?

Subject: RE: [OM] X/FP?
From: Wayne Harridge <Wayne.Harridge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 10:40:55 +1000
Siddiq,

> There was a post about someone's shots getting ruined by leaving the
> camera on the FP position--what exactly does that do? I know
> it's Focal
> Plane, but what difference does it make where the collar is? Thanks,
> Siddiq

The FP position is for "Focal Plane" type flash bulbs, since these bulbs
"burn" they take a short while (not sure how long, but probably 10s of mSec)
to actually reach full brightness.  To ensure the bulb is at full brightness
when the shutter is open the flash is actually triggered a short while
before the shutter is open.  Electronic flash will reach full brightness in
<< 1 mSec, and has a duration < 1 mSec, so that if the sync position is set
at "FP" the electronic flash has fired completely before the shutter has
(fully) opened.

Wayne Harridge
Ivanhoe, Victoria, Australia
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Louvre/6152/