RE: [OM] X/FP?

Subject: RE: [OM] X/FP?
From: "Brian P. Huber" <bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 00:30:48 -0400
Most of the problem lies with the OM-1and OM-2.  They do not automatically
set X-sync like the OM-4.  I have used an OM-1 since '73 and since early
'74 have had the FP-X sync switch glued to the X setting.  While I was
recently on vacation using my OM-2 (not n), the glue came loose on the X-FP
switch.  No flash photos on the OM-2, lucky for me I also had my 2-SP which
automatically uses X and got good flash shots with it.

I would imagine by now that there have been descriptions of X and FP.  If
not, let me take a stab at it:
X sync is ELECTRONIC FLASH (fast, very quick rise time, measured in
milliseconds).
FP is Focal Plane FLASH BULBS (slow rise time, measured in many
milliseconds).  Turn off a standard electric light bulb and see how long it
takes to go out (sorta the same thing but in reverse).  Even better
example, next time you're behind a car with an LED center stop light
observe how much quicker the LED light goes on and off compared to the
standard incadescent bulb in the left and right stop lights.
FP rise time looks kinda like: __/---\__
X looks more like I---I
Actually, don't worry about FP unless you have a camera that lets you set
it.  Then don't use it.  I imagine you can't even buy FP bulbs any more.
Subject:        [OM] X/FP?
>From Acer Victoria:
[[The biggest photo disaster of the trip was that I had the OM-1
inadvertently set to FP sync the whole trip, so none of my flash shots
worked]]
Oh? What flash were you using? At least for the T32, the position of the
X/FP collar does not matter-it automatically uses X.
>From Siddiq:
There was a post about someone's shots getting ruined by leaving the
camera on the FP position-what exactly does that do? I know it's Focal
Plane, but what difference does it make where the collar is? Thanks,
Siddiq