Re: [OM] OM vs Leica vs Zeiss--system versus system???

Subject: Re: [OM] OM vs Leica vs Zeiss--system versus system???
From: CANTABENE@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 16:24:17 EDT
A single body?  Easy. One of the several Nikon F2s I bought in 1972 and still
use.  No batteries required except for the dispensable meter, solid as a
brick (also, unfortunately, as heavy) durable and highly reliable.

One lens would be the Nikkor F/2 28mm the other a Nikkor F/2 85mm.  I'd
exchange the third lens for a Close-up ring for use with the 85.

I know, I know.  This is supposed to be an Olympus group.  I have Olympus
gear only because I once strayed from Nikon, then found that I needed the
reliability of a camera that worked without batteries, so went back to the
F2s. For me, much of the newer technology, because it was accompanied  by
reduced durability and reliability, ,  was counterproductive. As some may
have noticed, I've been selling off the Olympus gear and this NG has been a
great help in doing that.

I'd say that of all the photos I've made in my life, about 85% were made with
the 28 and the 85mm lenses.

However, the Olympus OM4 with Zuiko macro and auto extension rings is a fine
close up system.  Perhaps good enough to justify holding on to one OM4 body
for just that purpose--as a member suggested in a previous posting.

The choice of equipment depends entirely on the work being done. Mine was in
industry, with dirty, rough environments, extremes of heat and cold, and lots
of bumping around in airplanes. With no forgiveness for failure. Still, any
camerq can fail.  That's why a minimum of two are needed.
Harry