[OM] Customs Duties-Another question

Subject: [OM] Customs Duties-Another question
From: "Tom Trottier" <infoanim@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 14:41:06 -0400
Having imported a bunch of stuff I've bought on eBay, I've found:

CANADIAN CUSTOMS RULES:
 - up to $20 Cdn (~13 US), no duty/taxes charged
 - up to $60 Cdn, no duty/taxes charged if a gift from a non-resident
of Canada
 - over $60 - GST (Federal sales tax) gets charged at 7% with PST (~8%)
sometimes, or HST at 15%(federal-provincial "harmonised" sales tax)
 - up to $1200 Cdn, Simple declaration of contents,
 - over $1200, need invoices and customs classifications
 - no duty on most US produced goods, small duty on stuff produced
outside US, especially small on goods not locally produced, e.g.
cameras, lenses (Tho' Leicas are/were made in Midland, Ontario...)

CANADA POST PRACTICE for imports from US
 - Most stuff, even up to $100 or more just gets delivered with no
customs or GST
 - stuff subject to GST has a $5 processing fee, plus GST/HST/PST, no
duty

UPS practice.
 - All stuff subject to GST/HST/PST gets $26.75 brokerage fee plus
GST/HST/PST
 - others arrive free of extra charges

Standard LETTER PACKAGE AIRMAIL is cheapest to 4 lbs, but insurance is
only available with registration, about $7 more.

Over 4 lbs, AIR PARCEL POST is pretty cheap, starting at $7, and can be
insured.

Over 20 lbs, consider other services.

I have had no lost Post Office parcels, among some 20+ shipments.

Tom

From: Tom Trottier, President, ACT Productions Inc.
infoanim@xxxxxx                   http://www.act.ca
+1 613 594-4829                 fax +1 613 594-8944
199 Holmwood Ave,  Ottawa, Ontario, Canada  K1S 2P3
"Make it as simple as possible, but no simpler" - Einstein