Re: [OM] 200/f4 + Shutter Shudders

Subject: Re: [OM] 200/f4 + Shutter Shudders
From: "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 01:09:55 +0000
Hi Joel

I was not trying to denigrate the OM1.  I was just trying to put forward some
reasons why later OMs might have lower inherent vibration.

John mentioned the damping mechanisms for the mirror specifically, if I recall
correctly, but at the same time I inferred from Johns comments that the mirror
shock
absorber mechanism was not the only one means of reducing vibration.  It would
seem
to me reasonable to expect that if you were making an effort to reduce
vibrations
per se then you would not limit your attentions to just one of the vibration
sources.

Perhaps John will clarify this - or shoot me down in flames ;-)

I never meant to infer that I thought an electro-mechanical mechanism was
inherently
less vibration prone than a purely mechanical one.  In both types parts have to
move!  I meant that this was a 'difference' and so might have some bearing on
the
matter.  I think greater attention to the problem and improved means of dealing
with
it probably account for the apparent lower vibration of later models to a
greater
extent than any intrinsic differences in the type of mechanism.  That the later
models also tested happened to have eletro-mechanical shutters may be purely
coincidental

In line with this I would expect the OM3 to also show an improvement in this
area
given that it is a later development.

Great work by you and Richard, by the way.

Giles