Re: [OM] 200/f4 + Shutter Shudders: (was"200mm F4 / F5 vs. 65/200mm F4)

Subject: Re: [OM] 200/f4 + Shutter Shudders: (was"200mm F4 / F5 vs. 65/200mm F4)
From: "George M. Anderson" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 May 1999 19:09:30 -0700

Charles Loeven wrote:

> <<If the exposure will be 'long' let's define that as 1/15 or longer? >>
>
> So be it!  1/15. any opposed?
>
> <<then I would use the self-timer. This works especially well on the 4T with
> mirror prefile. >>
>
> This eliminates the mirror vibration but not
> the shutter shudder.  Although the 2 and 4
> seems more steady than the 1 and 3.

I've always figured shu-shu would be insignificant.  Certainly this is
true with 4300 grams worth of lens, as in this case! :>)

> << I would also, if possible, do the bean bag on top and/or
> camera bag below trick.>>
>
> I like that bean bag on top idea.  I could just use my head!
> I'm full of beans anyway.  :-)
>
> << But, in my experience, with exposures of
> crescent moon at 1/15 and longer, using just 4T self-timer is enuf.  And
> that's with 350/2.8 + 1.4x + 2x for total 1000/8.>>
>
> Is most of the exposure after the vibrations stop?

I think there's little vib after mirror up.

> That is where the "hand shake" would really have effect.

1000/8 I haven't done without tripod/mirror prefire yet.  I imagine even
with tripod and 2 hand support and finger gently on the trigger, 0f
sharpies would drop a bit from 'most' at 500/4, assuming same film
speed.

> For sure the shutter shudder is there but it is
> magnified with telephoto.  I guess the same goes for Macro.
> One more thing, is this shutter shudder the first curtain or the second?
> Longer exposures and a laser pointer would tell.

Yeah, this would be an interesting test. If I ever get a laser pointer.