Re: [OM] Adapters

Subject: Re: [OM] Adapters
From: HI100@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 23:50:44 EDT
Pablo Fernandez wrote:
> Hi:
> Can you tell me something about adapters ?
> OM Zuiko in Nikon or Canon cameras. Can I do it ?
> Nikon or Cannon.....

Pablo,
        There are three issues in making adapters:
1) Is the register distance (film plane to lens mount flange) amenable to
adaption?
2) Are you happy with preset lens operation as it is hard to get the auto
diaphragm operation of the different lens/camera systems to work together.
3) How do you couple lens aperture information to the new host camera for
metering?

The second issue usually means that when adapters are available you have to
operate the lens as a preset.

In the case of some third party lens makers such as Tamaron they make their
lenses with a very large register distance and then supply adapters that
convert there mechanism to auto diaphragm operation with various camera's.

If you don't mind not focusing to infinity (eg close/macro use) then the
first issue may not be a big deal.

        Here is a site giving register distances for various camera systems:
        http://www.a1.nl/phomepag/markerink/mounts.htm
        This site also discusses adapter issues in more detail especially in
relation to Cannon EOS.

>From data on the above site it is theoretically possible to adapt OM to
Cannon EOS (46mm register is ok with 44mm)
Also Nikon (46.5mm) to OM (46mm) is theoretically possible but leaves very
little thickness for the adapter.

Adapting lenses to OM is generally much easier than most other cameras as
OTF metering makes it unnecessary to couple
aperture information to the exposure system (issue 3 above) but preset
operation is still necessary so this is a convenience issue for general use.

I have succesfully adapted a variety of lenses to OM but this usually
involves machining and fitting a T adapter or other radical surgery.
For example I have a nice preset wide angle Cannon micro lens that I use with
bellows and one of my Novoflex lenses has a homemade adaption.

Tim Hughes
Hi100@xxxxxxx