Re: [OM] OT: Customs Duties

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Customs Duties
From: "Tomoko Yamamoto" <tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 10:01:44 -0400
Giles Stewart wrote:
>I have one theory.  Did your brother declare the value in >Yen?  If so, the
official
>who processed it possibly could not be bothered finding out >the current
exchange rate
>and working it out.

My brother did declare the value in Yen and he also checked the box for gift.
On the other hand, the lens came in the camera store's box with the store's name
and address.  Luckily the store's insignia is in Japanese.  The box also
contained in the very bottom a store receipt with their warranty (one year for
this lens).

BTW, the store from which I bought my Mamiya lens is on the Web and one can
subscribe to their specials newsletter in Japanese if so interested.  If you
have a relative or a friend in Japan, you can take advantage of what they have
to offer.  The store is known to have reasonably-priced items and they offer
one-year warranty on everything over 10,000Yen.  Their offerings in the OM are
not great in quantity, but I saw a used Varimagnifinder for 6000Yen.  When I
went back to the store after a weekend to buy my Mamiya 6, the VF was gone.  The
35mm/2.8 lens for 1,3000Yen that I had looked at was also gone.

The URL is http://www.sanpou.co.jp/

Tomoko Yamamoto
mailto:tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.charm.net/~tomokoy/