Re: [OM] Customs: A Tale of Two Cities

Subject: Re: [OM] Customs: A Tale of Two Cities
From: Morgan Sparks <msparks@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 07 May 1999 09:46:01 -0400
> Canada does not have a monopoly on diligent customs' officers!
(snip)
> You are quite right and I did not intend this little story as putting
> down Canada.

I live close to the border.  My experience going to Quebec has been that
the U.S. Border Patrol is alot harder on Americans coming back than the
Canadians are with them coming in.  Of course I've never had more than a
single kit with me, and the U.S. Customs has never been interested in my
photography equipment.  Probably they assume--correctly---that there's
no incentive to buy this kind of stuff in Canada, since it's
comparatively cheaper in the States.

It seems that liquor and cigarettes are the northbound contraband, while
most everything else illegal flows south.

Morgan Sparks