Re: [OM] 200/f4 + Shutter Shudders: (was"200mm F4 / F5 vs. 65/20

Subject: Re: [OM] 200/f4 + Shutter Shudders: (was"200mm F4 / F5 vs. 65/20
From: Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 07 May 1999 09:59:30 -0500
>I think what Olympus suggests makes perfect sense.  Soft, non rigid
structures tend
>to absorb or dampen vibrations rather than transmit them as do stiff
structures
>(tripods).

I think we need to differenciate between low and high frequency vibrations.
 A tripod and other rigid structures help stabilize the low freqency stuff,
while a soft, pliable mass of jello, such as our bodies, will absorb or
mute the high frequency vibrations.

However, our bodies create or pass on the low frequency vibrations (hands
shaking, heartbeat, breathing, etc) which is why we use tripods in the
first place.  Shutters and mirrors slapping up and down create the high
frequency vibrations that the tripod/head combo cannot really deal with
unless you increase solidly attached mass to several magnitude greater than
the cause of the vibration.

Ken

Kenneth E. Norton
Image66 Photography, Broadcast Consulting and Audio Engineering

image66@xxxxxxx
(515) 791-2306