[way OT] quantum physics (was: Re: Subject: Re: [OM] 200/f4 + Shutter Sh

Subject: [way OT] quantum physics (was: Re: Subject: Re: [OM] 200/f4 + Shutter Shudders: (was "200mm F4 / F5 vs. 65/200mm F4))
From: Jan Steinman <jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 08:55:55 -0700
>From: "Barry B. Bean" <bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>On Thu, 06 May 1999 11:27:53 -0500, Joel Wilcox wrote:
>
>>>As I was closing this note the Heisenberg principle suddenly popped into
>>>my churning brain...
>>
>>Let's see, Heisenberg was talking about sub-atomic physics, right? <g>
>
>I'm not certain...

The Heisenberg Uncertainty Priciple: you cannot know the momentum of a
sub-atomic particle. You can know its velocity, or its mass, but not both.

This also holds true for certain other quantum effects, such as the spin
and location of electrons, and to certain super-atomic structures, such as
a Bose-Einstein condensate.

Requisite Olympus content: as applied to photography, the Heisenberg
Uncertainty Principle dictates that you can know it's great photography
weather, or you can have your Olympus gear with you, but not both.

This is subtly different from various corolaries to Murphy's Law, which
state that if you DO bring your Olympus gear with you, the weather will be
rotten -- AKA "BBB's Certainty Principle." :-)

(If my mailer doesn't truncate it, I'm going for a record on longest
Subject:... :-)

: Jan Steinman <mailto:jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068-1331 USA
: +1.503.635.3229