Re: [OM] Adapters

Subject: Re: [OM] Adapters
From: "Glen Lowry" <lowry@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 09:04:00 -0700
Thanks to Timothy and Christopher for the information about adapters.  I've
been to both the sites suggested in your messages and I found them useful,
if a bit overwhelming.  What I'm unclear on is whether Olympus mounts have a
smaller or larger register than Nikon and/or Leica.

I know from spotting something on ebay that it is possible to adapt Zuiko
lenses to the Contax G mount; what I would like to know specifically is it
practical to adapt Nikon to Olympus.  What do I mean by practical?  Are
there non-optical adapters available that we let me maintain infinity focus
and  that will not radically alter the focal length (wider's better)?  As
I'm most interest in high-speed lens (Nikkor 35/1.4 & 85/1.4 are the two I
have in mind) to use almost exclusively wide open for shooting in the dark,
stop-down metering is not a large issue.

If it is not practical to adapt Nikon lenses to Oly bodies, what are my
options?  I guess I can always buy a Nikon body, and maybe that's
cheaper/easier, but if possible I'd like to keep w/ the Oly system.  The
problem is that f2 is not quite fast enough; for the situations I'm trying
to document,  I want a faster (f1.4) wide and short tele to go with my Zuiko
50/1.2.  I find that the extra stop makes a big difference--not only in
being able get the shots but to rate the film at more reasonable speed: 3200
is better than nothing, but 1600 is better, and if the lighting comes up 800
is better still.  So if anybody has any suggestions, I'd love to hear.

That's right I'm talking about putting together my very own dream system, or
seeing as I have no plans to abandon my other equipment, dream bag.

Glen Lowry