RE: [OM] 200/f4 + Shutter Shudders: (was"200mm F4 / F5 vs. 65/200 mm F4)

Subject: RE: [OM] 200/f4 + Shutter Shudders: (was"200mm F4 / F5 vs. 65/200 mm F4)
From: Siddiq <siddim01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 10:13:53 -0700 (PDT)
On Fri, 7 May 1999, Wayne Harridge wrote:
>> Someone once showed me an example of the effect of mirror
>> slap/shutter shake
>> that really stuck in my mind. He mounted the camera normally
>> onto his tripod
>> and put a glass of water on top, resting on the flash shoe.
>> When the system
>> fired off a frame you could clearly see the ripples of water
>> in the glass.
>> Made a believer out of me.
        I shall have to try this out!

>Reminds me of the story I heard about the Rolls Royce engineers - They would
>stand a penny (a UK coin about 3cm in diameter) on edge on a running engine
>to demonstrate how little vibration was present.
        Ditto for Lexus. I saw this on a used LS400, one from the early
90s, with 50k miles on it. You could balance a US quarter on edge.
Mercedes tried the same on their latest V6 incarnation, and they
failed--of course, it was because there was not a horizontal surface to
stand the coin on!

--
"Let us go then, you and I / When the evening is spread out against the
sky / ..."                      --/Prufrock/ Wow, what a work....