Re: [OM] Canadian import duties

Subject: Re: [OM] Canadian import duties
From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 15:00:51 EDT
In a message dated 5/7/99 11:53:14 AM EST, jahudson@xxxxxxxxx writes:

<< There seems to be an enduring belief, especially by visitors from
 the US, that entering Canada is just like crossing a state line at home.

  >>This is but one of many "horror" stories with Canadian Customs that
I have personally experienced. I think they take a special course on how to
be ignorant -- especially to returning Canadians.
Barry

I think that belief must be from those that haven't actually crossed the
border.

Ref: Barry's posting- I'm a bit surprised to hear they treat returning
Canadians the same way I've been treated. I've been given the extremely
thorough third degree several times by Canadian Customs, the most thorough
being the time I traveled across with a friend in his private plane, they
went through everything. We didn't quite fit the profile of drug smugglers
IMO, (maybe they thought we were camera smugglers, we both had a bit of
camera gear, <g>)  as he was arriving as part of a United States Air Force
group of pilots who was going to perform at the London Air Show with the
Canadian Air Force (he flew up privately so I could get some flying in also,
and enjoy the trip, saving me from flying a commercial carrier). And as I.D.
I was using my police department identification. Don't know if it was because
we flew privately, did that evoke suspicion?, but we were searched and
grilled quite thoroughly. Make no mistake, though- as the customs officers
were doing their jobs, they were very polite.

George S.