Re: [OM] 200/f4 + Shutter Shudders: (was"200mm F4 / F5 vs. 65/20

Subject: Re: [OM] 200/f4 + Shutter Shudders: (was"200mm F4 / F5 vs. 65/20
From: "Paul Farrar" <farrar@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 14:57:52 -0500 (CDT)
The greatest stability with regard to angular motions, which are the ones
that cause blurring, occurs when the legs are splayed flat. That's because
in that configuration any angular displacement will cause the masses to
be lifted vertically, rather than partly vertical and partly sideways.
The system is in the steepest sided potential energy well. That assumes
rigid legs. Less rigid legs might benefit from a slightly raised position.

Paul Farrar