Re: [OM] Lens to Camera Adapters was Re: [OM] Adapters

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens to Camera Adapters was Re: [OM] Adapters
From: "Tomoko Yamamoto" <tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 May 1999 12:28:59 -0400
"Glen Lowry" <lowry@xxxxxx> wrote:
>What I'm unclear on is whether Olympus mounts have a
>smaller or larger register than Nikon and/or Leica.
>I know from spotting something on ebay that it is possible to
>adapt Zuiko lenses to the Contax G mount; what I would like to know
specifically is it
>practical to adapt Nikon to Olympus.  What do I mean by practical?  Are
>there non-optical adapters available that we let me maintain infinity focus
>and  that will not radically alter the focal length (wider's better)?  As I'm
>most interest in high-speed lens   (Nikkor 35/1.4 & 85/1.4 are the two I
>have in mind) to use almost exclusively wide open for shooting in the dark,
>stop-down metering is not a large issue.
I have found a section on lens accessories in the Adorama catalog (99 edition
which arrived last December) where they list lens to camera adapters.  No
Olympus lenses or cameras are included in the list.  The notorious Cambridge
Camera Exchange sells
Pentax to Olympus and Olympus to Nikon adapters.  I should note that Cambridge
has a bad reputation for their business practice and I can't tell any specs for
these adapters.

Even if it is physically feasible to make Nikon to Olympus adapters, you might
be in the minority on insisting to use the OM body.  In the Japanese catalog
(JPV show catalog) I have looked at, you would lose light when you can shoot to
the infinity with the optical-type mount adapters.  In this type you may have a
problem of vignetting with the lens of shorter focal length than 50mm.

With the other type of lens to camera adapters in the Japanese catalog for which
the problem with infinity is not mentioned, lens to camera adapters for the OM
body are limited to the medium-format lenses.  It appears that the OM lenses to
other brand bodies are more desirable or easier to make.  The OM lenses can be
used on the EOS, Leica L, Leica M and two video cameras, the Canon EX1/EX2 and
XL-1.  Some of these adapters (e.g. OM Zuiko to the Leica M) are noted to have
been made in Germany.  I hope that some of German members can look up on lens to
camera adapters available in Germany.

> I want a faster (f1.4) wide and short tele to go with my Zuiko
>50/1.2.  I find that the extra stop makes a big difference--not only in
>being able get the shots but to rate the film at more reasonable speed: 3200
>is better than nothing, but 1600 is better, and if the lighting comes up 800
>is better still.  So if anybody has any suggestions, I'd love to hear.

Which film are you using for this work?  I have shot stage performance without
flash with the 85mm/2 and a few other lenses last year.  The Fuji 1600, rated at
1600, was terrible, but the Fuji Super G 800 pushed to 1600 was so much better.

Glen, have you actually used the Zuiko35mm/2, 85mm/2, and 100mm/2 for this work?
If I am to do it over those shots of stage performance, I would have pushed 1/3
of a stop more to gain some speed.

Tomoko Yamamoto
mailto:tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.charm.net/~tomokoy/