Re: [OM] Canadian Insurance

Subject: Re: [OM] Canadian Insurance
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 09 May 1999 08:51:52 +0000
At 07:09 5/6/99 , Steve wrote:
>Hi!
>
>   To all the OMers living in Canada.  I live in Vancouver and was wondering
>where ya'll go to get your OM stuff insured when you travel?  How much does
>it cost approximately?
>
>Thanks in advance!
>
>   Steve

If you are a homeowner, read the "personal property" section of your
homeowner's insurance policy.  Many include, or can include at a modest
cost, a clause that will cover personal property outside the home.  The one
exception may be if it is (or was) in your auto at the time of loss.  This
would typically have to be covered by a "contents" clause in your auto
insurance.  Not mentioned in any of the replies is the possibility you may
have to itemize articles of high value to your insurance company.  This
would include expensive jewelry, cameras, musical instruments, etc.

If you are an apartment dweller (or home renter), you can get the
equivalent of homeowner's insurance for your personal property, often
called "renter's insurance."  It basically gives you "personal property"
coverage without "real property" coverage for the structure (which your
landlord or building owner should be responsible for).  Bottom line is
reading your policies and understanding what they cover (or exclude)
*before* a loss occurs!

-- John