[OM] tripod mounts

Subject: [OM] tripod mounts
From: Jan Steinman <jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 May 1999 11:00:11 -0700
>From: WKato@xxxxxxx

>>  ... I seem to recall trying unsuccessfully to swap [tube & lens mounts]
>>  them in the past. If anyone is dieing for the definitive word, I've got all
>>  three, and can go try them out.
>
>Please go ahead and try. I think that one of the three has the knob on the
>left and one has it on the right, thus it seems incompatible.

That's it! I knew there was SOME difference -- just wasn't sure what.

On my samples, the 300/4.5 (silver nose, single-coated, #105165) and the
85-250/5 (#107563) both have the knob on the photographer's right, while
the telescoping extension tube has the knob on the left.

I just verified that all three are interchangeable.

The left-knob mount also has a red dot on the base to help you align the
pin and slot when removing or installing it.

I also suspect the extension is slightly smaller, or maybe it's mount has
more padding, but it seemed I had to loosen it more to get it to fit on the
lenses, and the lens mount I put on the tube had to be tightened more.

: Jan Steinman <mailto:jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068-1331 USA
: +1.503.635.3229