[OM] Lens Test: 40mm f/2 Zuiko

Subject: [OM] Lens Test: 40mm f/2 Zuiko
From: PCACala@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 9 May 1999 16:45:54 EDT
And now the "little Zuiko that could" . . .

40mm f/2.0 Zuiko (multi-coated)
Vignetting = B- @ f/2, A- @ f/2.8, A @ f/4
Distortion = Moderate barrel
Aperture  Center    Corner
f/2       C         C
f/2.8     B+        A-
f/4       B+        A-
f/5.6     B+        A-
f/8       A         A
f/11      A-        A-
f/16      A-        B+
Note: Moderate contrast images with high resolution.

As I expected, this design favors corners over the center.  If one avoids
using it wide open, any aperture will give pleasing results.  Contrast is
what limited the grades, not resolution.  I could see the detail in the
smallest of black on white lettering, but the light brown detail on white got
mushy due to only run of the mill contrast.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV