Re: [OM] OM2000

Subject: Re: [OM] OM2000
From: "c.e. packard" <packardc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 09 May 1999 17:46:02 -0500
Robinsnes@xxxxxxx wrote:

>         Does anyone have any experience with this OM product? <

        I recently purchased an OM2000 from B&H with the 35-70 zoom, alas
before the price cut. First, while it has the Olympus name it is
manufactured by Cosina. They are making cameras (bodies and lenses) for
other companies as well, (i.e. N*k*n and Y*s*ch*). Search the list
archives for more information there is a bunch on the OM2000.
        I've only put a couple of rolls through it. Most recently I went to an
historic sports car race at Road Atlanta on a cloudless sunny day.
Shooting Kodak Gold 200 print film, I set the camera at f11 @ 500s
"sunny 16" and let the auto exposure controls do the rest. I was very
satisfied with the results especially with the shots taken in the
paddock area where cars were half in shade and half in open sunlight.
The camera's computer balanced the exposures well. I am working to post
some of these on my web site soon. I hope and work and hope some more.
        Overall I'm satisfied, although its controls are different than the
"real" OM's and required some retraining of fingers.

> All shooting usually done very slowly and deliberately so motor drives are not
> particularly attractive.

        That's good the OM2000 does not support a motor drive.

> Whom do you recommend as a repair facility.

        I send mine to CamTech an authorized olympus service center.
 Web address: www.zuiko.com. They are good!

> recently had an OM2n stolen.

        May that b*s*t*rd/b*t*ch be cursed with an incurable fungus growth.

> I want another OM body as I am now down to only one from
> three. Am looking at the OM4Ti but not sold yet on whether it is worth the
> money.(read would it get enough use?) I like shooting with manual cameras,
> but really miss the 2n and it's long night exposure times and wife likes
> automatics.

        I don't own a 4Ti or T anything but there have been some very positive
comments about the 4Ti, search the list archives. (See Web Page address
at the bottom of this email).
        Try posting a WTB (Want to buy) message on the list you'll probably get
a response. Or try B&H or KEH camera brokers for used equipment. I'm
sure other list members can recommend other reputable dealers. And as
always, there is eBay.