[OM] Teleconverters - which ones to use?

Subject: [OM] Teleconverters - which ones to use?
From: Olaf Greve <Ogreve@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 11:50:00 +0200
Hi,

I'm considering buying one or more teleconverters to really explore the
field of super telephotography. Therefore I would like to hear (read) some
comments/suggestions from people who actually have experience with them.

The lenses I would like to use the converter(s) with would be (in order of
importance):
300mm F4.5, 65-200 F4, 135 F2.8 (all are Zuikos). Now, especially the 300mm
is interesting, but the 65-200 is a close second. Therefore I'm wondering
which TCs can best be used for each of these lenses.

I have read Gary's test results for the 300mm + 1,4x and 2x Oly TCs, also
I've seen that the 1,4x is matched for the 300mm. From Gary's tests I gather
that both TCs will cost two stops in exposure time, and that it's difficult
to focus with the diafragm wide open. Can anyone shed a light on this from
experience? I.e. how do you think it focuses and performs in actual wildlife
shooting as opposed to the test bench. Also, the F-grades with the diafragm
wide open are slightly worrying. Is performance really that poor?

On another note I would also like to know which off-brand TCs are
recommendable (and give good results). I noticed for instance there are
several 3x TCs (like Vivitar), these sound really interesting too, but how
about performance, loss in stops, picture quality? Which off-brand 2x and 3x
TCs are the best buys?

Finally, what would be considered good prices for all of the above mentioned
TCs, when they're optically in good shape (cosmetics are of lesser
importance)?

Thanks a million,
Olaf