Re: [OM] 100/2.8 or 85/2

Subject: Re: [OM] 100/2.8 or 85/2
From: "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 23:37:47 +0000
If it were me I would seek them in the following order of preference - leaving
out
the 90mm f2:

100mm f2
85mm f2
100mm f2.8

I think it would also be worth considering the 135mm f2.8 as well as the 100mm
f2.8.

I very recently saw a supposedly ex+ 100mm f2 for slightly less than $400 which
seems like a good price.

The 100mm f2 has an ED element and close focus aberration correction mechanism
which
reduces distortion when you focus on something very close.  It focuses to only
700mm and weighs slightly more than twice as much as the f2.8.  The 85mm f2
focuses to 850mm and also has a close focus aberration correction mechanism.
The
100mm f2.8 focuses to only 1m and has no correction mechanism.

The 100mm f2 is one of the finest of all Zuikos.  Have a look at Gary Reeses'
test
results for it and the other lenses you are considering.

If you are on a very tight budget the 135mm f2.8 provides very good performance
for
the money - usually less than $100.

Let me know if you want the URL for the 100mm f2.

Giles