Re: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #903

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #903
From: HI100@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 03:12:52 EDT
In a message dated 5/9/99 11:47:46 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
siddim01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< re. LCDs as aperture control
 Here's my (admittedly cursory) analysis:
 --would require batts in lens: weight...I like my Zuikos light;
 --if batt dies, you're stuck at default opening, whether open or closed;
 --additional hardware/software: see above;
 --LCDs tend to turn black in temp extremes: no Saharan/Alpine shots;
 --another 'element' to bounce light;
 --not compatible with older bodies: a great thing about Oly and N!k0n is
 that you can use almost any lens on any body;
 --as another poster mentioned, LCD won't be black, thus reflecting light
 inside lens: flare anyone?
 --fragile
 --present lens are, for all practical purposes, infinitely adjustable
 aperture-wise, so what's the use of LCD? For same cost, Oly could add
 another blade or two, and still maintain compatibility across bodies

 Anyone care to add/subtract to the above? >>

        Another problem is that most LCD's are not completely opaque when off
(slowly fog film) and they use cross polarization wasting more than half the
photons! There are other types of electro-optic modulators/switches but they
all tend to waste light even when meant to be full on.
        Interestingly, there are some new types of LCD displays that take
zero power once written to, and will display for months with no power
applied.

Tim Hughes
Hi100@xxxxxxx